What is an ID5 form? And do I need one?

What is an ID5 form, who can complete one on my behalf and why would I need one?

Sometimes, when you're completing a conveyancing transaction - which could be a transfer of ownership or perhaps a sale - your conveyancer will have been asked to complete an ID1 form. This is a document issued by the Land Registry and its purpose is to identify you. It confirms that someone has checked you are who you say you are and is often when your solicitor cannot identify you as their client or because you are dealing with HM Land Registry directly.

The form confirms your name, address(es) the title number of the property (which you may or may not know, but can easily be found online or in your own records) and the nature of the transaction, such as a sale or purchase or transfer.

There are several people listed in the form that can verify your identity and a notary is one of the allowed people. There are others available, such as conveyancers, the Land Registry or a person in the armed forces, and even a solicitor licenced overseas (although they will need to prove that they are currently allowed to practice).

The following section is how you have been identified. Normally, you will be identified in a face-to-face meeting. During that meeting you would bring your original identification documents, and a photograph to attach to the form. It needs to be what is listed on the form, most typically a passport or driving licence, however, if you don’t have these, other documents can be used, but again, it must be from the list. The photograph needs to be signed and dated by the certifier on the back, so no glue please!

However, you may find that the face-to-face meeting isn’t practical, either due to late working hours, shifts, or travel expenses. In that case an ID5 form can be used. This is a replacement of the section mentioned above. Instead of completing this in person, the certifier would host a Zoom or a WhatsApp call for example and check the identity documents you have with you against what you have emailed through ahead of the meeting. The call will be recorded for my records, and I will ask you to confirm that you are in England or Wales and take a screenshot of you. This is to print off and enclosed with the ID5 that I need to completed. Both documents will be posted to you as original copies.

Corporate bodies, trusts etc, can also be identified using an ID2 form. These are similar to ID1 forms but other identification documents need to be used to identify the entity, and additional information will be requested. This is to make sure that the entity exists and that you can sign on its behalf.

All these forms are used to help prevent fraud, and to protect the owners of the property whether they are people or entities.

If you wish for me to assist you, please note that I will not be providing legal advice on the transaction itself, and you should seek this from an expert in the area.

It is worth noting that these forms are for use at the Land Registry, you will often be asked by your mortgage lender or solicitor to provide identity documents, or to have certified copies made and those documents sent to them. This will be separate, and sometimes in addition to an ID1 form. Please see certified identity documents in the knowledge base for further information.

If you need to have an ID1, ID2 and an ID5 form completed or have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.