You’re planning to work or live abroad. But have you spoken to a notary public?

Deciding to move to a new country can be the result of many things. Your current employer is providing you with a new opportunity, you may wish to experience a new culture or embark on a new phase in your life. Whatever the reason, you may need to have a variety of documents authenticated and/or legalised depending on your destination.

When applying for a visa, you may be asked to have your identity proven, provide medical certificates, or make declarations. All countries have different requirements, and they will each tell you what you need. Some of these documents may need to be authenticated by a notary public. When you are asked to do this, you will need to provide the originals of these documents and the notary will authenticate them. There are numerous ways in which this can be done, again all depending on what the document is.

If you are moving abroad for a new job, you may be asked to have your education certificates authenticated. I will contact the issuing university, school, college or firm and ask them to confirm that the qualification has been given to you. This can be done either directly or via a specialist third party for a fee dictated by them. Most, if not all universities in the UK will do this electronically and this can be typically done in a few days depending on when you completed your degree and how they hold their records.

Once notarised, they may then need an apostille and some also require them to be sent to their embassy here for legalisation. All of which can take time and will incur additional costs.

If you have any queries or need notarisation to assist with your move abroad, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Read: The Top 10 Reasons to Use a Notary Public